Autumn is a time where the weather can switch from grey, rainy and foggy days to sunny, bright and colourful ones.
And although it is dark early, autumn makes a great scenery for some creative activities. Here’s how this season can make you become more creative.
- It’s cold in the morning but warm in the afternoon. You have to be a creative dresser (for yourself and your kids) so that you’re not freezing or sweating. Here’s how to wear summer dresses still this fall.
- The colorful leaves, foggy mornings and beautiful sunsets make you (want to) take beautiful photos. Here are some tips for capturing color.
- There are lots of nuts and such to collect. The trees shed hazelnuts, chestnuts, etc to craft little men, cars, animals, etc with your kids.
Oh and chestnuts (conkers) apparently keep spiders out of your house… Or else you can roast them…
- With lovely weather you can invite friends for lunch/brunch and sit on the terrace or in the garden and just enjoy the sun and company. A nice break from daily life.
- The grass is still growing. Oh my. Instead of seeing the mowing as a duty, look at it as a free work out. Or a meditative exercise. Put on some music, smell the freshly cut grass and dream (or sing) away.
- Walking in the woods at this time a year can do wonders for your creativity. The autumnal smells (musty, leafy, woody, nutty) bring you right back to your childhood, the cradle of creativity… So go and run loose, kick up some leaves, hug (or climb) a tree…
- It’s pumpkin time. Like with the chestnuts, why not have a creative go at carving or painting them? If you are more Martha Stewart, try arranging them on your porch or cooking a lovely pumpkin soup.
- The blue skies allow you to see the traces that planes make. Try to see if they are writing you a secret message…
- Go pick some apples and make some hot appel cider or caramel apples! Visit
- If the weather isn’t so nice, how about curling up in front of the log fire with some autumn movies such as Autumn in New York, Sweet November, Dead Poets Society, When Harry met Sally, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Home for the Holidays, The Cider House Rules, Mystic Pizza, or Fried Green Tomatoes.